Used tungsten carbide inserts can have many uses; from industrial tools to recycling scrap carbide for cash, but there are plenty of questions pertaining to the tungsten carbide industry.
Whether you’re looking for a tungsten distributor and just want to learn more about the various applications of used tungsten carbide inserts or simply want to recycle the product you already have, these frequently asked questions should be able to help you better understand.
- When was tungsten discovered? — Tungsten was actually discovered in 1781 (236 years ago) but wasn’t actually used for any type of industrial project for another 150 years.
- Is tungsten the hardest metal? — Tungsten carbide is quite hard, but it’s not the hardest metal on earth. Tungsten falls between 8.5 and 9 on the Moh’s hardness scale, falling behind diamonds, which have a hardness level of 10. Although, tungsten carbide is nearly twice the stiffness and density of steel.
- What are some of the uses of tungsten? — One of the most popular uses for tungsten carbide is the manufacturing of tools because of its durability. In addition to making tools, tungsten can be used for beautiful pieces of jewelry, rotating balls inside the tips of ballpoint pens, and even, as English guitarist Martin Simpson uses, as a guitar slide.
- Does the size of the carbide grains matter? — Yes, grain size is very important when determining the mechanical properties of the final tungsten carbide product. The size of the grain usually depends on the size of the actual oxide particles within the tungsten, but the temperature and duration, when the oxide/carbon mixture is taking place, is just as important.
- How much heat can tungsten withstand? — Although it’s not the strongest metal on the planet, tungsten does have the highest melting temperature of any metal at over 6000 degrees Fahrenheit.
Hopefully the answers to these frequently asked questions will help you better understand the tungsten carbide industry. If you want to learn more about used tungsten carbide inserts, contact Tungco today!